November 06, 2006

Beer and Chocolate - without the Holy Spirit


On Saturday Rick and I made a trip to Campbellford, a little town on the Trent-Severn Waterway I became very familiar with during my MA fieldwork for two reasons: the World's Finest Chocolate Factory Outlet, and Church-Key Brewing. I spent far too much money on chocolate and beer, but it was sooo worth it. (The trip also served to remind me how lucky I am that I don't need chocolate and beer on a daily basis to cope with interviewing religious zealots like I did two summers ago!)

It was a beautiful day, despite being as chilly as it was, and I even found something new in Campbellford - I had somehow previously managed to miss the fact that there is a giant twoonie in the town's park. I have seen many of these oversized tourist attractions thanks to all the roadtrips my parents took us on as kids (Sudbury's giant nickel, and even the giant pyrogy in Glendon, AB, among others), but this was entirely unexpected. Apparently, the artist who designed the polar bears on the twoonie (Brent Townsend), lives and works in Campbellford. I will definitely have to check out his gallery next time I visit.

We headed to Rick's parents' house in Newcastle after Campbellford so I could pack up what remaining stuff I had there and put it with some of my other belongings in Richmond Hill. I signed the lease for my new apartment on Friday (!!!) and am going to be moving in at the end of this month. I am terribly excited about having my own space again with my own stuff and not living out of a suitcase. So many people have been generous in providing me with temporary places to stay until I could get on my feet again after leaving school in April, but it's going to feel great to be somewhere that's really mine again - or, at least as mine as a rental apartment can be. It's the coolest little place in the top floor of a century brick house near downtown Hamilton, and I know that Mowgli is going to love it (lots of windows for an indoor cat are essential, of course). And you can bet I'm going to have a housewarming party in early December too! :D

3 comments:

Florence Chee, PhD said...

Oooh... sounds great. When I'm out East let's go together!

Anonymous said...

HAH! I've been to both the chocolate factory and Church Key place. Took my parents there when they came to visit me. I remember the town with the chocolate factory well. But, who could live in a town that always smelled of chocolate? Peterborough was bad enough. It always smelled of popcorn because of the quaker oats factory. Great blog Em!!!!! I enjoyed reading it!

Doctor Emily said...

LOL - that's so funny you've been there too!!! I took my dad there as well when he came out to visit, hehe.