March 18, 2008

A History of Strong Women

I've been writing an article that I hope will be published in Bitch Magazine; it's about women encountering the male gaze in the gym, specifically in regard to how women who build muscle are perceived and how the constructed space at the gym encourages women to exercise in certain ways that are not always empowering. As such, I've been doing some research on the history of women who do build muscle, and I've come across some cool videos that I want to share.

The woman in the first video is Charmion, a strongwoman who performed strength stunts for audiences in the late 19th century (check out those pipes!). She was recruited by Thomas Edison to help him in his pioneering efforts to create motion pictures. And what kind of film does he decide to make? Was it something momentous or beautiful? Not really... he used this wonderful new medium of communication to make smut, in a film called "Trapeze Disrobing Act". Classy. Regardless, it showcases Charmion's strength and beauty - and puts into perspective just how prudish the era was.



Are strongwomen still around today? You bet! Check out this great video that documents the journey of a newbie strongwoman, Jalaine Ulsh, in her first competition. These women are amazing!

No comments: