My regular hairstylist cut my hair yesterday and, after being "inspired" by a hair show the previous day, she really wanted to try something new on my hair. I totally nixed the funky bang-thing she wanted to do, and insisted she make sure I was able to tie it back, but otherwise - I trusted her. And, dear gods, I should not have.
I now look like I have something that could be described, at absolute worst, as a reverse mullet (long in the front and short in the back), similar in many ways to Victoria Beckham's hair - just a bit longer. So maybe it's trendy? And yet, it also very distinctly reminds me of Noel Fielding's (of the Mighty Boosh) hair, without the spikyness or frontal shortness. Okay, so I might be exaggerating these descriptions but, again, it's mostly the back that bothers me. The nasty '80s inspired fringe-thing. And NO, you are not going to see a picture of it! :P
I don't want trendy hair. I'm more of a get-up-and-go kind of woman, and I don't want to be dependent on a million products or hair appliances to look reasonable. Doesn't my stylist know me by now? Doesn't she get what kind of person I am? How could she do this to me?! This is reminiscent of "the mushroom-cut incident" that happened to me back in grade 6 with the woman who'd been cutting my hair for years. She gave me the "oh, I know something that would look really cute on you!" and I was stuck with it for the next year. Joy.
So, what's to do? Do I risk seeing another stylist, one I don't know, in the hope they can "fix" it? Or do I just suck it up and wait until it grows out, which will be months? Or do I follow my current instinct to start crying and shave all of my hair off? I'm feeling particularly devastated because this is supposed to be a time in my life of new beginnings and, well, one's hair, and the way one presents oneself, is supposed to say something about how I'm feeling about myself. It doesn't. In fact, it makes me feel pretty damned self-conscious and insecure!
Needless to say, I don't think I will be seeing my stylist again. (Sorry, Vanessa, but we'll have to go somewhere else to get our hair done together!)
UPDATE (March 11/08): My hair has been (mostly) fixed! I ended up going to another hairstylist that Leigh recommended, and while this has ended up being the most expensive hairstyle I've ever had, and the back still isn't quite right, at least I can feel good about the way I look again. It's crazy how one's hair can make all the difference...
No comments:
Post a Comment