So I apparently didn't get the job in Bristol (as I assume, since they failed to formally notify me of their decision), and I wasn't shortlisted for the other international internship I applied for. It seems that the CMA/CAM "internships" - what most people would define as a way for recent graduates to get experience - aren't really internships. Even though I've already held two museum/heritage jobs, and have an MA, I was told that there were other candidates with broader qualifications. So, it's kind of like they want to pay people what they would pay an intern, which isn't enough to live on or truly enjoy being in another country (the pay in Bristol worked out to about 5oo pounds/mo), but instead the job is really a regular position and not an opportunity to learn. There's just something wrong with that.
That said, I have applied for two Assistant Curator positions (one in BC and one in ON) that look really exciting. They are just closing now, so I am hoping to hear about an interview in the next couple of weeks, and hoping that one results in a job offer. I am, of course, continuing to apply for jobs involving qualitative research as well. However, I am hitting the point in my job search where my family is starting to feel a sense of desperation for me. This is not a good thing. I mean, I hit the desperate point awhile ago myself, but it really amplifies the seriousness (and lameness) of my situation. I have come to the conclusion that while I am very proud of my accomplishments, being overeducated in today's job market sucks. Especially when I have people telling me to lie about having an MA and to take it off my resume so I can get a shitty retail job - something I have thus far refused to do. I am also close to concluding that museum professionals are snooty because so few people have returned my request for information interviews. Networking in this field is no easy task. At this point, I am asking all of you reading this to pass on any interesting job postings you come across, contact info for people you know who might be able to help me, and to send me lots and lots of good luck! I really want to make this my last month of unemployment. Sigh.
No comments:
Post a Comment