The wedding was absolutely beautiful, a loving ceremony performed by and with family and friends in a circle around the bride and gr
oom in a garden park; we each had a part to read, and each gave a stone as a token of our good wishes to the happy couple. The reception began with a beer and cheese tasting (dangerously good), followed by dinner and dancing into the wee hours. Perhaps not surprisingly, I helped to close the place down, and was left with a rather nasty headache in the morning. Hazy memories, however, indicated that I acquired a new nickname - "The Raging Yang". This emerged from a conversation I was having with the other anthropologists at the wedding about the fact that many of us are, interestingly, introverts, even though our job is to be social. Based on the idea that some of us are introverted, Leigh branded some of us "soothing yin", whereas she designated others of us as being extrovered "ragers". It was decided that I am definitely the latter!

I left for Calgary two days after the wedding and spent a lot of time catching up with good friends from my growing up days. It gets more interesting with each passing year because this segement of my friend group has largely been focused on starting families, and every year I go there are new children to meet, and it always puts me a little out of my comfort zone! Andrea, Amanda, and I - plus their girls, Maeryn, Ava, Faye, and Lila - all spent an afternoon at Heritage Park, which was interesting for me because I had never done an attraction like that with children before. I also had a nice dinner with friends, which was a great opportunity to catch up.
Dad and I drove to BC
on Friday and stopped in Revelstoke to visit my friend Heather for lunch before making another detour at The Enchanted Forest, a place I have been going to since I was a very small child, and which I insist on stopping at every time we make the trip through that part of Canada. They had made a ton of improvements, and I had a lot of fun squeezing myself into tiny buildings. :D I think I may have to shamefully admit that it's been one of my favourite moments of the trip so far! We made it to my grandma's house quite late, only to get up reasonably early for the 25th annual Porth Pitch 'n Putt family golf tournament the following morning. Dad had bribed me with a plane trip on the condition that I actually play in the golf tournament this year, much to my horror and dismay. And I did not disappoint - I am officially the worst golfer in my family, and
I have a trophy to prove it! Yes, even the 7 yr old playing this year kicked my butt. It was a proud moment... :P
on Friday and stopped in Revelstoke to visit my friend Heather for lunch before making another detour at The Enchanted Forest, a place I have been going to since I was a very small child, and which I insist on stopping at every time we make the trip through that part of Canada. They had made a ton of improvements, and I had a lot of fun squeezing myself into tiny buildings. :D I think I may have to shamefully admit that it's been one of my favourite moments of the trip so far! We made it to my grandma's house quite late, only to get up reasonably early for the 25th annual Porth Pitch 'n Putt family golf tournament the following morning. Dad had bribed me with a plane trip on the condition that I actually play in the golf tournament this year, much to my horror and dismay. And I did not disappoint - I am officially the worst golfer in my family, and
I have a trophy to prove it! Yes, even the 7 yr old playing this year kicked my butt. It was a proud moment... :P I'm now at my mom's and having a great time with her here as we catch up and have a lot of good girl time. It's going to be great to see more Vancouver friends over the next couple of weeks before heading back to school!
No comments:
Post a Comment